We make these sweet little pumpkin cupcakes every year for Halloween, and again for Thanksgiving. They are far more light and airy than pumpkin pie, they’re not too sweet, and they go perfectly with coffee or with milk for breakfast or for an afternoon snack. Bonus: they are relatively healthy, too.
Recipe makes 15 cupcakes
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 cup whole milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/3 cup butter, softened
For frosting (optional):
1 8-ounce package (224 grams) cream cheese, at room temperature
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon high quality vanilla extract
2 – 4 tablespoons pumpkin puree. The pumpkin puree makes the frosting runnier than usual. Start with 2 tablespoons and add more only if it’s not too runny. I use 4 tablespoons.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius). Line 15 muffin cups with paper liners and spray with nonstick spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda) with a fork.
3. In another bowl, beat together the liquid ingredients (pumpkin puree, whole milk, eggs, and butter) using a hand whisk.
4. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix well with a fork. Batter will be thick and a little spongy.
5. Spoon batter into muffin tin, filling each cup almost to top.
6. Bake about 20 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes.
7. Five minutes before cupcakes are done cooling, prepare the frosting: beat the cream cheese until softened, using an electric mixer on medium. Slowly add the sugar and vanilla extract, then the pumpkin puree, and beat for a couple more minutes, until creamy.
8. Frost the cupcakes and decorate, if you wish. We like to decorate pumpkin cupcakes with candy corn.
The frosted cupcakes keep well in the refrigerator for 2-3 days. Take them out of the fridge an hour before serving them. The non-frosted pumpkin cupcakes freeze well, and are easily thawed in the microwave.
Nutrition per cupcake
Total Fat 10.6 g
Saturated Fat 6.2 g
Cholesterol 53.1 mg
Sodium 222.4 mg
Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
Dietary Fiber 1.4 g
Sugars 32.6 g
Protein 4.3 g