When the nice folks at Flanigan Farms offered to send me a package filled with goodies, it was the kind of offer you can’t refuse – and one of the nice perks of being a (OK I admit it!) mommy blogger. I asked them to include their Nuts and Fruit Mix, so that I could use it to make this quick bread recipe, adapting it a little because I didn’t feel like giving it a citrus flavor.
The result? A chewy, rich, flavorful bread, with a wonderful crunch from the nut mix and an interesting sweet-salty flavor that can go either way – I had it with a little butter and it was heavenly, but I can imagine having it with jam or honey, or – alternatively – with some Brie or Roquefort. You could probably use just half a cup sugar and one teaspoon salt to make the flavor more neutral, or leave the sugar at 3/4 cup and use less salt for a decidedly sweet bread. In fact, glancing at the nutrition information for this quick bread, I would say using less salt than the recipe calls for is probably a good idea – there’s quite a lot of sodium in there.
Flanigan Farms makes all-natural dried fruit and nut products that contain no added salt, sugar, oil or preservatives. Produced in small batches, their nuts and fruit/nut mixes are available in grocery stores on the west coast, or online – with free shipping for orders over $50.
Flanigan Farms would love to give one lucky reader their Gourmet Almond Gift Set, which includes gourmet almond oil, slivered almonds and sliced almonds, all nestled in natural excelsior and packed in gift packaging. If you’re a US resident over 18 years old and would like to receive the gift (shipped directly from Flanigan Farms to you) please email me vered (at) momgrind.com with your address. The first to email will get the gift. –> Gift has been taken. Sorry to anyone who was too late to email. Maybe next time. 🙂
OK, here’s the recipe.
Nuts and Fruit Quick Bread Recipe
Makes 1 loaf. Takes 10 minutes to mix and 1 hour to bake.
¾ cup sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp baking soda
½ tbsp salt
¾ cup 2% milk
1 tbsp melted unsalted butter plus more butter for greasing the pan
1 6oz package Flanigan Farms Nuts ‘N’ Fruit™
1. Stir together sugar, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Mix in Nuts ‘N’ Fruit.
2. In a separate bowl, beat eggs; stir in milk and butter.
3. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until combined.
4. Turn into a greased 9×5 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. After 40 minutes, my loaf was nicely browned but not fully baked yet, so I covered it loosely with foil and baked for 20 more minutes.
5. Cool in pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool some more. Enjoy warm or at room temperature. Wrap leftovers in foil and store in refrigerator. Or slice and store in freezer.
Nutrition Per Serving (1/10 loaf)
Total Fat 7.8 g
Saturated Fat 2.2 g
Cholesterol 41.6 mg
Sodium 896.5 mg
Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
Sugars 15.9 g
Protein 6.8 g